Monday, February 15, 2010

Coming into Our Own

My Broncos finished last season 9-7, but snuck in with a 6 seed into the post season. We were able to upset the 3 seeded Steelers and moved on to play the most dominant team in football: the New England Patriots. The Patriots were 14-2 and by far the best team in the league. After going down 21-0 early on, I battled back to cut the game to 21-14. I had a final drive with 2 minutes to go in an attempt to tie the game. I was moving and grooving down the field at will. Then, a tragic event occured. I had a wide open reciever down the field, but got hit as I threw it. The ball floated right into the defenses hand and my fate was sealed. I began to retool for season 5. I did not have money to sign big time free agents, but my young guys progressed and I was able to keep our unit intact. My team overall was a very respectable 90. I started the season 8-1, but then lost 3 in a row, and currently stand at 8-4 and tied for the lead of the AFC West. This could be our year! I have finally mastered the coaching scheme that I set every week before I simulate games. When I play I do not worry about the scheme, but when simming I have found it essential. I have made my defense focus on the pass and pass rush, and I have made my offensive line focus on the run. My team has benefited from the scheme, but in simulations my passing game still struggles a bit. I will have to work on that it has been a true learning experience involving a lot of trial and error with different schemes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Max,
    my name is Lucas and I'm in Christine Alfano's Rhetoric of Gaming class at Stanford. I'm not an avid gamer, but I do enjoy games such as madden, racing games, nba live, and old school classics like street fighter. I am writing a paper on gaming addiction. Basically defining addiction, its symptoms, treatment etc. I think it should make for an interesting read, so if you have any comments or suggestions I would love to hear them.

    I think its pretty interesting that you are building up your team through drafting. However, is it real prospects or computer generated ones at this point?

    How does following this game relate to your class? What does your teacher "grade"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I'm Stepfan Taylor from Stanord University and I am enrolled in a Rhetoric of Gaming class. I've enjoyed reading your post because I play football and I can relate to your situation. It is unbelievable how much these games today represent the life of football. I havent played a franchise since probably Madden 06, but when I did I always had a created player and dominated.lol. You probably pass alot on the game, but to help you with the running game be patient and dont hold your turbo until you break away. You need to allow the lineman to set up their blocks,which allows you to just cut off of them. But, this is cool what are yall going to be doing that connects this to your class.

    ReplyDelete